A healthy digestive tract means a healthy body. So much of our overall health is dependent on a well-functioning gut. One tried-and-true way to keep things running smoothly is to use bitters to help support digestion. Here’s what you need to know.
Benefits of a Healthy Gut
So much of our overall health relies on a healthy digestive tract. Improving your gut can have a lot of noticeable benefits. Here are just some of them:
- Strong Immune System
- More Energy
- Improved Sleep
- More Positive Mood
- Healthier Heart
Types of Bitters
The term “bitters” covers many different types of ingredients. You may be familiar with bitters used in cocktails, but bitters can be used in food as well as drinks, and not just alcohol. Bitters are typically made up of aromatics and botanicals such as herbs, flowers, roots, bark, and even fruit. Because bitters have so many benefits, people will often use specific types to target a specific desire.
- Dr. Shade’s BitterX – This bitter formula by Quicksilver Scientific comes in a convenient spray that can be used several times a day, simply by taking a few squirts in your mouth. The blend is composed of dandelion, gentian root, solidago, and myrrh and serves as a powerful antioxidant for the liver and gallbladder.
- Dr. Shade’s Bitters No. 9 – Like the BitterX, this blend is a powerful antioxidant for the liver and gallbladder. This blend includes milk thistle, sweet orange, juniper, and clove for a relaxing taste. Just a few pumps in the mouth each day will help bile move through the intestines and support proper detoxification.
- Food Bitters – Bitters is one of the 7 senses, so it occurs naturally in many of the foods we already eat. Some examples of natural bitters foods include:
- Jerusalem Artichokes
- Dandelion Greens
- Broccoli Rabe
Is there a reason not to add bitters to your diet everyday? Try it and see what kinds of health improvements it makes for you!
Do you ever feel like you are constantly forgetting things? Maybe it seems like you are walking around in a fog, or you might walk into a room and completely forget what you came in there for? It happens to all of us from time to time, sometimes it’s just the day, other times there are things going on in our bodies that are affecting our memory function. Read ahead to learn about herbs for memory and other brain boosters!
4 Herbs for Memory Support
Our brains rely on certain vitamins and nutrients to work at their peak potential. If your brain isn’t getting what it needs daily, it makes sense that some functions may begin to slow down. Herbs for memory cannot only help you keep a clear head from day to day, but they can also help slow, and possibly even prevent the onset of cognitive diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Take a look at the brain boosters below and start feeding your mind!
- Turmeric – This is one of the most powerful herbs for memory. Turmeric is highly beneficial, because it is a natural antioxidant as well as an inflammatory – two characteristics that are important for not only brain health, but whole body health. Turmeric can be taken either as a supplement, or eaten, as it’s the main ingredient in curry powder.
- Ginkgo Biloba – Another great herb for boosting cognitive function, ginkgo biloba works by increasing circulation and stimulating blood flow to the brain. For years,s people have also taken this herb as a natural remedy to treat depression. Some studies show it may help increase cognitive function for seniors suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of cognitive impairments.
- Gotu Kola – This is one of the herbs for memory that will help clear a foggy head and help improve mental clarity. More good news? Not only does it appear to be good for your mind, some studies show that gotu kola can also improve kidney and liver health, and help with skin problems.
- Ashwagandha – Not only have studies shown that ashwagandha can boost brain function, it’s also been known to help curb symptoms of anxiety and depression. Other potential benefits of this ancient herb are increased energy and improved concentration.
Brain Boosting Blends
You can take individual herbs for memory to treat particular symptoms, or try a proprietary blend to target several areas at once. There are several brain boosting blends to choose from. Here are some of our favorites from BrainMD.
What type of herbs for memory will you try?
Ladies, it’s time we take back our health. We’re great at taking care of everyone around us, but when it comes to self-care, we sometimes drop the ball. That’s why this week has been deemed National Women’s Health Week, and we’re giving you permission to make it all about you.
How to Take Back Your Health
Many women carry a heavy load that may prevent them from focusing on their daily health. On top of that, many women report having high levels of stress on a daily basis. Many also say they are so busy they rarely have the time to properly exercise or take in a balanced meal (let alone three). That’s a problem, ladies. Did you know that heart disease is the number one cause of death among women in the U.S.? It’s pretty scary, but there are small changes you can make right now, that will greatly lower your risk.
A woman’s diet is very important to her overall health. Not only to help manage a healthy weight, but to strengthen her body all over to withstand the stresses of aging. Here are the key foods that you should be getting everyday in moderation.
- Lean Protein (meat or protein powder)
- Low-Fat Dairy
- Whole Grains
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Healthy Fats (such as Olive Oil)
- High Quality Probiotics
Find Time to Move
Staying active is very important to a woman’s health. It’s important that you find time each day to get your heart rate up. Here are some ideas on how to get in a little cardio, even if you’re busy.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park farther away from the door
- Walk on your lunch break
- Clean the house
- Walk or bike to work
Manage Your Stress
Make it your mission to find calmness everyday, especially when you are starting to feel your blood pressure rise. Here are some things that can help.
- Meditation with Essential Oils
- Yoga or Tai Chi
- Fresh Air
Get Proper Nutrients
There are certain vitamins and minerals needed to maintain a woman’s health. Everything about the way our bodies are made and function is unique to us females. So make sure you’re taking the correct supplements to support it.
To get started with the right supplements tp fill nutritional gaps in your diet, try Women’s Pure Pack by Pure Encapsulations, Pro-Flora Women’s Probiotic by Integrative Therapeutics, and Ther-Biotic Women’s Formula by Klaire Labs.
Make a resolution to take back your health this week. Just making these simple changes to your daily routine can make all the difference in the world. Good luck; you deserve it.