There are many reasons why some describe wheat grass juice as liquid sunshine! Wheat grass grown outdoors in nutrient-rich soil turns sunlight into energy and provides one of nature’s finest complete foods. Grown from sprouted wheatberries and harvested at its nutritional peak, wheat grass contains not only high concentrations of living enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, chlorophyll and phytonutrients, but also the full array of essential amino acids, making it a complete and satisfying protein. This nutrient dense green superfood may provide a variety of natural health benefits, including noticeably improved energy levels and a feeling of optimal wellness.
Here’s how the nutrients found in wheatgrass may benefit vitality and health:
- Chlorophyll – As the life blood of plants, chlorophyll carries high levels of oxygen. Chlorophyll molecules contained in wheatgrass are very similar to hemoglobin molecules in the blood and can be used by the body to build red blood cells and increase the body’s capacity to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the body’s cells.
- Enzymes – Wheatgrass contains beneficial enzymes, which have a wide variety of bodily functions, ranging from digestion to cellular renewal to building muscle, blood and organs. One such enzyme, superoxide dismutase (SOD) helps to lessen the effects of radiation, a factor in cellular aging, and helps to cleanse the body of heavy metals, pollutants and other toxins stored in body tissues and organs.
- Amino acids – Wheat grass contains 17 amino acids, which aid in building the proteins that shape muscle structure, maintain and repair cells and assist blood clotting. Amino acids are also active in hormone production and enzyme synthesis. Adequate amounts of amino acids are necessary to maintain optimal health.
- Antioxidants- Wheat grass contains natural phytochemicals, such as flavonoids, which neutralize free radicals that cause cellular DNA damage, accelerate aging and increase the risk of developing cancer and age related chronic diseases. Scientific studies have shown that wheat grass extract has higher antioxidant activity as compared to other plants and vegetables. Other beneficial antioxidant compounds and vitamins include beta-carotene and vitamins C and E.
- Vitamin and mineral content – In addition to vitamins C and E, wheat grass contains vitamins D and K and a good array of B vitamins. Mineral content includes calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium.
What about other benefits?
- Natural detoxification – The high chlorophyll content of wheatgrass stimulates and aids in naturally detoxifying the liver and the blood. It helps to neutralize and eliminate toxins in the digestive tract and the lymphatic system.
- pH balance – With a pH balance of 7.0, wheat grass is a powerful alkalizing agent, which can help restore and maintain a balanced acid to alkaline ratio in the body. An overly acidic body pH creates metabolic acidosis, which can interrupt cellular activities and functions and lead to sickness and disease. A balanced pH creates natural homeostasis, increasing energy and stamina. Maintaining a balanced pH level is critical for long-term health.
- Weight loss – The protein content in the form of poly-peptides, shorter chains of amino acids, allow for more efficient use in the body and blood stream. The many nutrients make wheat grass juice very satisfying to the body and may reduce hunger pangs and cravings. Wheat grass juice, taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, may help you eat less overall throughout the day.
- Immune support – Wheat grass is an effective way to boost the body’s immune system in order to fight illness and support recovery and wellness. Wheat grass may also be helpful in controlling chronic inflammation, a factor in chronic disease development. Because wheat grass is a natural alkalizing anti-bacterial food that helps to detox the lymph glands, the body is able to remove toxins more quickly and efficiently.
Some consider wheat grass juice nature’s finest medicine for its health promoting effects. Because of its high protein and cleansing and energizing properties, you’ll find wheat grass juice is at the top of the list of beneficial nutritional superfoods. And for those who may be wondering, wheat grass is gluten free, making this a suitable food for everyone, including those with gluten sensitivities. You may find that when start your day with a shot of wheat grass juice, you might not need that morning cup of coffee. In summary, wheat grass juice provides living food that recharges your cells and jump starts your energy, without the sometimes jittery effects of sugar and caffeine.
To enjoy the all benefits that wheat grass juice has to offer, here are some great suggestions for supplementation:Sweet Wheat Powder by Brightcore Nutrition – This product contains only 100% pure certified organic, freeze dried wheatgrass. To energize your day with this nutritious food, simply mix with water or juice. Perfect Food RAW Wheat Grass Juice by Garden of Life – Capture the power of the sun with this certified organic super food blend of nutrient dense wheat grass juice, sprouts and vegetables. Daily Greens by Progressive Labs – Mix this product with water or juice and receive the benefits of a pleasant tasting blend of wheatgrass, spirulina, algae, mushrooms, vegetable extracts and enzymes.