We talk a lot about women’s health and what we need to do to look younger and stay healthy, but today… it’s all about the guys. During Men’s Health Month, we want to encourage men of all ages to get serious about their health. Here’s what you need to know…
What is Men’s Health Month?
June is Men’s Health Month and is all about bringing awareness to the special health needs men of all ages have. As you age, the need for certain vitamins and minerals changes, your metabolism and stamina may begin to slow down, and your lifestyle choices begin to have an impact. So, start taking notice, now.
Men’s Health Concerns and Changes by Age
Below is a list of health concerns that many men have as they age. In each section, you’ll also find suggestions on how to improve those concerns, and perhaps eliminate some altogether.
Men in their 20’s
- Proper Nutrition – Many men in their 20s feel invincible. They may be at the peak of body performance on the outside, but way too often they are neglecting essential nutrients for the inside. The number one thing a man in his 20s should do, is take a high quality multivitamin like Men’s Nutrients by Pure Encapsulations or Men’s Extreme Sports Multivitamin by NOW Foods. A healthy, well-rounded diet is also important with at least an hour of moderate to intense physical activity five days a week.
- Avoiding the Doctor – Either they are too busy, or too scared to find out what the doctor will say during a physical, many men in their 20s often neglect routine medical checkups. This can become an issue later in life as small problems can go undetected for long periods of time, causing major issues as they age. You should be getting a physical at least once a year.
- Poor Lifestyle Choices – Many men in their 20s drink too much alcohol as well as smoke cigarettes or use vaping tobacco. This coupled with lack of sleep is wreaking havoc on your body. It may seem like you can bounce back quickly now, but trust us, it’s going to catch up with you eventually. Studies show that binge drinking increases your chance of having a heart attack by 72 percent!
Men Ages 30-40
- High Cholesterol – At this point in your life, you need to be taking your cholesterol seriously to avoid major complications later. Doctors recommend having your cholesterol checked every five years. Supplements such as CholestePure from Pure Encapsulations can help keep it under control.
- Manage Stress – Men who endure a lot of stress from work, family life, and more are at an increased risk of developing serious health issues such as high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Make an effort to naturally reduce stress with regular exercise, meditation and yoga.
- Check Your Blood Pressure – High blood pressure can lead to serious health problems such as stroke, kidney failure, and heart attacks. The shocking thing is that most men don’t even realize they have it! That’s why in honor of Men’s Health Month, men in their 30s should have their blood pressure checked every three years, and men age 40 and up should have it checked annually. Supplements such as Blood Pressure Support from Now Foods can also help keep it under control.
Men Ages 50+
- Enlarged Prostate – Prostate issues, including cancer, are a major concern for men over 50. Enlarged prostate is the most common health issue for men in this age group, and untreated, can lead to prostate cancer.
- Colon Cancer – The second leading cause of death for men in their 50s is colon cancer. It’s recommended that all men have a colonoscopy by age 50, and if there are no issues, have it repeated every ten years.
- Heart Disease – In your 50s, more than ever, you need to be taking your heart health seriously. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men between the ages of 45-54. Poor diet, lack of exercise when you are younger, and stress all contribute to heart disease in this age group. Help maintain your heart health with a healthy diet.
During Men’s Health Month, we urge you to take control of your future, and your health.