Chronic inflammation is quietly becoming the 21st century’s silent killer. Chronic inflammation can remain undetected, while the inflammation process carries on for weeks, months or even years. Chronic inflammation, also termed metaflammation because of its link with the metabolic system, differs from acute inflammation in that it is low-grade and persistent. It perpetuates rather than resolves disease and is associated with a reduced metabolic rate. Chronic inflammation has become epidemic in America and threatens to destroy many lives with serious and chronic degenerative diseases.
Wellness is the absence of inflammation. The key to optimal health and disease prevention is detection and treatment of the root causes of the inflammation. There’s no quick fix for chronic inflammation which means that protecting yourself against the onset of chronic disease involves changing your lifestyle habits.
To restore your body’s balance and help reduce and prevent inflammation:
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese. Overweight people have increased levels of inflammation. Scientists believe that this level can be traced directly back to the fat itself. Fat cells churn out proteins known as cytokines which can cause low-grade systemic inflammation. Excess abdominal weight is linked to a condition called insulin resistance which can lead to hypertension, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Look to make changes in your diet. Revising your diet is one of the easiest, most effective ways to modulate inflammation. Foods contain specific messages that can increase or reduce inflammation. Reducing or eliminating the consumption of fast foods, unhealthy fats, processed foods and food irritants can help reduce inflammation and the risk of developing chronic disease. Increasing the amounts of a variety of colorful unprocessed fruits and vegetables with high anti-oxidant values can quell inflammation and sweep up damaging free-radicals. Think in terms of natural, minimally modified foods as anti-inflammatory and processed foods as inflammatory and eat accordingly.
- Supplement with Omega-3 fish oil. Well documented studies show that omega-3 fish oil is strongly anti-inflammatory. This is one of the simplest, safest, yet most effective steps you can take to quell chronic inflammation in your body. Maintaining a diet high in omega-3’s through supplementation and dietary changes can help balance the omega-3 to omega-6 fat ratio, lowering inflammation and guarding against chronic disease.
- Exercise. Regular physical activity is one of the best ways to keep inflammation at bay. An active body produces more anti-oxidants, which combat free radicals and reduce inflammation.
- Reduce stress. Stress produces cortisol, which is anti-inflammatory. However, it also produces pro-inflammatory cytokines. These proteins are designed to protect the body from an invader. If the cause of your distress is psychological rather than physical, the immune system works overtime and inflammation results.
- Focus on gut health. The beneficial bacteria in probiotics can help keep harmful bacteria in check, reducing the inflammatory response. Identify and eliminate foods that trigger allergies or digestive upset. Ignoring food sensitivities stokes the fires of inflammation. Leaky gut syndrome, a condition where bacteria, undigested foods and other toxins can leak into your blood stream, triggers an autoimmune response and a host of painful inflammatory symptoms.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep gives your body time to heal and can undo the effects of the inflammatory response.
- Break bad habits. Tobacco smoke and alcohol are toxins. One quick way to reduce inflammation is the cessation of smoking. As well, if you consume alcohol limit yourself to 1-2 drinks or less daily. If you can eliminate tobacco and alcohol altogether, your overall health should improve.
By being proactive, you can prolong your good health and your life. Aging is an interesting pro-inflammatory inducer, the effects of which can be reduced by healthy living. Eliminating the causes of inflammation by changing your diet, streamlining your daily habits, and adding supplements can dramatically improve the inflamed state of your body and increase the quality of your overall health. Our bodies are wonderfully complex and resilient, but they need our nurturing. Keep watch over your internal fire to reap untold rewards of good health and wellness.
Supplements to aid in reduction of inflammation include:
X-FLM (K-37) by Apex Energetics – This product offers nutritional support for the immune system and contains ingredients that are involved in antioxidant processes. Highly ranked by our customers who have found relief using this product.
Inflamma-bLOX by Ortho Molecular – Useful in reducing inflammation while reducing the side effects on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Contains natural ingredients with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immune enhancing properties.
OmegaGenics EPA-DHA 2325 by Metagenics – Features a highly concentrated source of health-promoting omega-3 essential fatty acids from cold-water fish. Each teaspoon provides 2325 mg of highly concentrated EPA and DHA for adults seeking higher levels of EPA and DHA.
InflammEnz by Advanced Formula Enzymes – InflammEnz helps combat the symptoms that accompany inflammation with a powerful combination of the proteolytic enzymes bromelain and pHysioProtease™, plus grape seed and rutin, antioxidants that aid in improving peripheral circulation and decreasing capillary permeability. Contains, vitamin C, an antioxidant essential for collagen formation and tissue repair, as well as minimizing clotting and bruising, along with calcium and potassium, minerals essential for healthy nerve transmission and muscular contraction. Indications: Soft tissue trauma, soft tissue inflammation and post-operative protocols.
UltraFlora Balance by Metagenics – As a nutraceutical, this product is formulated to complement dietary recommendations to promote gastrointestinal and immune health. This formula is designed to encourage growth of beneficial bacteria and support healthy immune function, intestinal integrity, and healthy digestive function.
Buffered Vitamin C by Integrative Therapeutics – As a powerful antioxidant, vitamin C supports a healthy immune system response. In addition, healthy skin, collagen, connective tissues, bone tissue, and tooth tissue formation depend on vitamin C. Buffered vitamin C uses pure crystalline ascorbic acid to supply 1 gram of vitamin C in each capsule. This preparation is buffered with calcium and magnesium to make it easier on sensitive stomachs.
DigestZyme by Transformation Enzyme – The ultimate goal of digestion is getting nutrients to the cells. Nutrients not only feed the cell, they protect it from free radical damage. Healthy cells lead to optimal metabolism, energy, and immunity. Supplementing with digestive enzymes is a vital part of this nutrient acquisition process. This unique formula is the perfect introduction to digestive enzymes. It supports immune system health by encouraging more complete digestion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats for increased absorption and availability of nutrients. Transformation’s DigestZyme™ is designed to assist the body in maximum digestion of nutrients, production of energy, and immune system support.