When you have itchy skin, sometimes it seems like it is taking over your life. Besides just the general discomfort, itchiness can keep you awake at night, and cause damage to your skin from scratching too much, leading to other problems. Here are some natural itch relief options, which you may already have in your pantry!
Causes of Itchy Skin
There are many things that can cause itchy skin. Some of the causes you can control, some are harder to avoid. But all can be soothed with using natural itch relief options. Here are the most common causes of itchy skin.
- Bug bites
- Contact with poisonous plants, such as poison ivy or oak
- Skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis
- Dehydrated skin
- Exposure to excessive heat or cold
Triggers and Natural Itch Relief Options
Depending on the source of your itchy skin, there is likely a natural itch relief that can help. Let’s break it down by the source and discuss some of the relief options that can help.
If seasonal changes tend to make your eyes itch, we know how annoying and uncomfortable that can be. If itchy eyes are so bad that are preventing you from doing normal activities like working, driving, or enjoying a book or TV. Try these options to get some relief:
- Take a shower. Removing pollen and other allergen that may hitch a ride on your clothes may help relieve your itchy eyes.
- Use natural allergy eyedrops as often as needed, without the fear of side effects.
- Place a cold, wet washcloth over your eyes.
- For an itchy scalp, try apple cider vinegar.
Bug Bites and Poisonous Plants
Coming into contact with a biting insect or a poisonous plant such as poison ivy, poison oak, or stinging nettle can be incredibly uncomfortable. To calm severe itchy like this, you’ll want to also address the inflammation it causes. Here are some great natural itch relief options:
- Colloidal oatmeal is a great natural option for relieving itchy skin. You can use it as a soak in a bath for full body relief, or as a spot treatment in creams and lotions.
- Herbal salves are great for relieving extremely itchy skin and work great as an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Just make sure there isn’t any broken skin when you apply it.
- This roll-on spot treatment is great for targeting bug bites.
Eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions can be incredibly uncomfortable, and may seem impossible to relieve. See if these natural itchy relief options can help:
- Sometimes with skin conditions like these, treatment needs to come from the inside out. Try putting these dry eczema drops under your tongue up to three times a day.
- Using a cream that contains salicylic acid is great for treating psoriasis outbreaks. Just rub onto the affected areas of the skin up to four times a day.
Sometimes itchy skin is just a result of dehydration. Our skin easily gets dried out from the wind, sun, indoor air, or simply not drinking enough water. Try these options for relief:
- Turning down the heat in the shower is one easy way to help combat dry skin. Hot water dries us out, so even just a few degrees can make a huge difference.
- Moisturize with creams and lotions right after you get out of the shower and before you go to bed at night. Make sure you moisturize your face and body.
Don’t let itching skin and eyes keep you from doing what you love. Try these natural itch relief options and take back control of your skin.