Many of us use natural and essential oils on a daily basis for everything from boosting our immune systems to cleaning our homes. But natural oils are also super beneficial for your hair and scalp. Want your hair to grow? There’s oil for that. Need something to hydrate your hair and scalp? There’s oil for that too. In fact, there are a lot of natural oils that are great for your hair. Read ahead to find one that may help you!
Different Types of Oils
There are two main types of oils that are great if you want to hydrate your hair and scalp. They are essential oils and carrier oils. Here’s the difference between the two.
- Essential Oils – Highly concentrated oil that is distilled directly from a plant. The purpose is to capture the plant’s scent, flavor or essence to benefit from its natural characteristics, in a more efficient manner. Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy.
- Carrier Oils – These oils are also derived from plants, but they are used to dilute essential oils and serve as a “carrier” to be absorbed better by the skin. Examples include coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil. They are especially helpful to hydrate your hair and scalp.
Best Oils for Your Hair
Different oils do different things for your hair and scalp. Essential oils are great for scent and stimulating hair growth, while a carrier oil is a miraculous way to hydrate your hair and scalp. Below is a list of oils, and what they can do for your hair.
- Jojoba Oil – Great for moisturizing and gentle on sensitive skin. Rubbing it into your scalp will eliminate dry, flaky skin. It won’t leave an oily residue and is great for cleansing your pores. You can even use it as a makeup remover!
- Lavender Oil – An essential oil that can be used as a deep conditioner. Many people use it to help control dandruff and add luster to dry, brittle hair. It smells great too!
- Marula Oil – Marula is a fruit that is rich in vitamin C. It’s also full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids that make your hair shiny and full. Also a great choice for repairing split ends. Shop for marula oil from trusted brands like Russell Organics.
- Moroccan Argan Oil – A powerful antioxidant that will keep your scalp healthy and help prevent hair loss for fuller, thicker hair. It is also hydrating and provides protection from everyday damage such as heat tools.
- Cedarwood Oil – Helps stimulate the scalp encouraging hair to grow by providing balance to the oil-producing glands in the scalp. It is also a powerful natural antibacterial and antifungal.
- Coconut Oil – This is great for softening the hair and adding shine. It’s also great when used as a blend, such as this Coconut & Jojoba mix from Desert Essence.
- Camellia Oil – Commonly used as a do-it-all beauty product, camellia oil is absorbed quickly into the scalp and is rich in vitamins A and B. It can be used as a hair treatment to rapidly hydrate your hair and scalp and fight against split ends.
You don’t have to look far for a treatment that will help hydrate your hair and scalp. Nature always provides a remedy. Try some of these natural solutions and let your natural beauty shine through.