If weight loss and staying in shape has always been relatively easy for you, it may be frustrating to learn that when you reach a certain age, it gets a little harder. Diet plays a key role in our bodies as we age. It may be time to adjust the way you eat. Here are some nutrition tips for men over 40 that can help.
Testosterone and Metabolism
Testosterone in men tends to drop when you hit your 40s. That can have a direct impact on your metabolism, which may be why you’ve noticed that you can’t eat pizza five days a week anymore like you used to. There is good news though. Through diet, supplementation, and exercise, you can get your levels back up to where they were and hopefully kickstart that awesome metabolism you once had.
Nutrition Tips for Men Over 40
Balance is key when it comes to nutrition tips for men over 40. There are certain foods, vitamins and minerals, and exercise routines that will make losing weight much easier. Here are some of the key things you should focus on, and why:
- Drink More Water – If you are dehydrated, you will feel sluggish and tired which will likely keep you from getting the daily exercise you need. It’s recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces, every day.
- Eat an Apple – Apples are low in calories and fat, and contain a lot of fiber, which can help reduce bloat and keep your appetite satisfied for longer. They are also great for your gut and immune system which could give your metabolism the boost it needs.
- Use Bone Broth – You’ve probably heard about it, now here’s why it’s so great. Bone broth by Ancient Nutrition is a great source of glucosamine which calms inflammation in the body, including the gut which can get your metabolism back up and running again.
- Take a Multivitamin – Getting the daily vitamin and minerals your body needs can make a huge difference in how you feel and the way your body processes food, exercise and stress. All contributing factors to weight gain.
- Protect Your Prostate – After 40, it’s more important than ever to stay on top of your prostate health. Make sure you are keeping up with regular physicals with your doctor. There are supplements you can take as well that specifically target prostate health, such as ProstaThera by Klaire Labs.
- Up the Protein – As you age, the more important lean protein becomes. Boosting your daily protein intake can help you regain muscle tone that you may have lost as you’ve gotten older. Eggs are a great source of protein in the morning, studies show that men who eat eggs for breakfast lose more weight than those who don’t. Or try a supplement like Protein Plus GFCF Dutch Chocolate by Neurobiologix.
Don’t let 40 slow you down. This is the time to shine. With a few adjustments to your daily routine and attention to the nutrition tips for men over 40, you’ll have that body back in shape in no time. Good luck!