You know how we’re always hearing about the importance of omega-3 fatty acids in our own diets? Well, they are important for our pets too! Some of the same supplements we take to help keep us healthy will also work for your dogs and cats, such omega-3s for pets. Read on to find out more.
What are Omega-3s for Pets?
Omega-3s are known as fatty acids. We all need them – humans and our pets. Fatty acids are crucial to your dog and cat’s vitality. Here are some of the things that fatty acids play a key role in everyday in your pet’s body.
- Keeping a Shiny Healthy Looking Coat
- Important Source of Energy
- Keep Paw Pads Moisturized and Durable
- Help Transport Important Vitamins Throughout the Body
- Support Vision and Mental Clarity
Foods that Contain Omega-3s
A proper diet that includes omega 3s for pets is very important to help your animal live a long and healthy life. Many of the foods they eat naturally contain fatty acids, but you might want to consider adding an omega-3 supplement to your pet’s daily routine to ensure they’re getting everything they need. Look for these ingredients in your pet’s food that naturally contain fatty acids that are appropriate for animals.
- Chicken Eggs
In addition, adding fish oil to your pet’s food, or giving it to them via capsule is very important. Here are two that we trust that come in both options.
- Omega-3 Pet by Nordic Naturals – This is an example of a great high quality fish oil that you can pour over your pet’s food. It contains wild anchovy and sardine oil. Best of all, it’s good for dogs or cats!
- Omega-3 Pet Softgels for Dogs or for Cats (or small breed dogs) by Nordic Naturals – Some animals love the taste of fish oil, while others are more picky. If your dog or cat isn’t fond of the flavor, you might want to try fish oil softgels. Try giving them to your pet on their own, or hiding them inside a treat daily.
So, now you know the benefits of omega-3s for pets. Go live a long and healthy life with your best buddy!
We talk a lot about women’s health and what we need to do to look younger and stay healthy, but today… it’s all about the guys. During Men’s Health Month, we want to encourage men of all ages to get serious about their health. Here’s what you need to know…
What is Men’s Health Month?
June is Men’s Health Month and is all about bringing awareness to the special health needs men of all ages have. As you age, the need for certain vitamins and minerals changes, your metabolism and stamina may begin to slow down, and your lifestyle choices begin to have an impact. So, start taking notice, now.
Men’s Health Concerns and Changes by Age
Below is a list of health concerns that many men have as they age. In each section, you’ll also find suggestions on how to improve those concerns, and perhaps eliminate some altogether.
Men in their 20’s
- Proper Nutrition – Many men in their 20s feel invincible. They may be at the peak of body performance on the outside, but way too often they are neglecting essential nutrients for the inside. The number one thing a man in his 20s should do, is take a high quality multivitamin like Men’s Nutrients by Pure Encapsulations or Men’s Extreme Sports Multivitamin by NOW Foods. A healthy, well-rounded diet is also important with at least an hour of moderate to intense physical activity five days a week.
- Avoiding the Doctor – Either they are too busy, or too scared to find out what the doctor will say during a physical, many men in their 20s often neglect routine medical checkups. This can become an issue later in life as small problems can go undetected for long periods of time, causing major issues as they age. You should be getting a physical at least once a year.
- Poor Lifestyle Choices – Many men in their 20s drink too much alcohol as well as smoke cigarettes or use vaping tobacco. This coupled with lack of sleep is wreaking havoc on your body. It may seem like you can bounce back quickly now, but trust us, it’s going to catch up with you eventually. Studies show that binge drinking increases your chance of having a heart attack by 72 percent!
Men Ages 30-40
- High Cholesterol – At this point in your life, you need to be taking your cholesterol seriously to avoid major complications later. Doctors recommend having your cholesterol checked every five years. Supplements such as CholestePure from Pure Encapsulations can help keep it under control.
- Manage Stress – Men who endure a lot of stress from work, family life, and more are at an increased risk of developing serious health issues such as high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Make an effort to naturally reduce stress with regular exercise, meditation and yoga.
- Check Your Blood Pressure – High blood pressure can lead to serious health problems such as stroke, kidney failure, and heart attacks. The shocking thing is that most men don’t even realize they have it! That’s why in honor of Men’s Health Month, men in their 30s should have their blood pressure checked every three years, and men age 40 and up should have it checked annually. Supplements such as Blood Pressure Support from Now Foods can also help keep it under control.
Men Ages 50+
- Enlarged Prostate – Prostate issues, including cancer, are a major concern for men over 50. Enlarged prostate is the most common health issue for men in this age group, and untreated, can lead to prostate cancer.
- Colon Cancer – The second leading cause of death for men in their 50s is colon cancer. It’s recommended that all men have a colonoscopy by age 50, and if there are no issues, have it repeated every ten years.
- Heart Disease – In your 50s, more than ever, you need to be taking your heart health seriously. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men between the ages of 45-54. Poor diet, lack of exercise when you are younger, and stress all contribute to heart disease in this age group. Help maintain your heart health with a healthy diet.
During Men’s Health Month, we urge you to take control of your future, and your health.
A healthy digestive tract means a healthy body. So much of our overall health is dependent on a well-functioning gut. One tried-and-true way to keep things running smoothly is to use bitters to help support digestion. Here’s what you need to know.
Benefits of a Healthy Gut
So much of our overall health relies on a healthy digestive tract. Improving your gut can have a lot of noticeable benefits. Here are just some of them:
- Strong Immune System
- More Energy
- Improved Sleep
- More Positive Mood
- Healthier Heart
Types of Bitters
The term “bitters” covers many different types of ingredients. You may be familiar with bitters used in cocktails, but bitters can be used in food as well as drinks, and not just alcohol. Bitters are typically made up of aromatics and botanicals such as herbs, flowers, roots, bark, and even fruit. Because bitters have so many benefits, people will often use specific types to target a specific desire.
- Dr. Shade’s BitterX – This bitter formula by Quicksilver Scientific comes in a convenient spray that can be used several times a day, simply by taking a few squirts in your mouth. The blend is composed of dandelion, gentian root, solidago, and myrrh and serves as a powerful antioxidant for the liver and gallbladder.
- Dr. Shade’s Bitters No. 9 – Like the BitterX, this blend is a powerful antioxidant for the liver and gallbladder. This blend includes milk thistle, sweet orange, juniper, and clove for a relaxing taste. Just a few pumps in the mouth each day will help bile move through the intestines and support proper detoxification.
- Food Bitters – Bitters is one of the 7 senses, so it occurs naturally in many of the foods we already eat. Some examples of natural bitters foods include:
- Jerusalem Artichokes
- Dandelion Greens
- Broccoli Rabe
Is there a reason not to add bitters to your diet everyday? Try it and see what kinds of health improvements it makes for you!