The end of winter doesn’t have to mean the end of soups in your recipe rotation. In fact, springtime is the ideal time to perfect your rotation of light, healthy green soup recipes. Take advantage of the new season’s fresh produce with some of our favorite green soup recipes perfect for spring.
Green Soup Recipes Perfect for Spring
Cucumber-Tomato Gazpacho Soup
Hot days call for cold soups. This cucumber-tomato gazpacho is the perfect cold soup to energize you on spring and summer’s hottest days.
- 1 pound English hothouse cucumbers, halved, seeds removed
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced, rinsed under cold water
- ½ poblano chile, seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus leaves for serving
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Pour all ingredients (except cilantro, salt, and pepper) into a blender. Blend the mixture until you reach a very smooth consistency.
- Once the mixture reaches the desired texture, season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into an airtight container, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (you can prepare this soup up to 2 days ahead of time).
- When you’re ready to serve, top with cilantro leaves, and enjoy!
Wilted Greens Soup with Creme Fraiche
Do you have leftover greens starting to wilt in your refrigerator’s veggie drawer? Before tossing them out, try turning them into a delicious, green springtime soup instead, like this Wilted Greens Soup with Creme Fraiche.
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 small Yukon Gold or ½ russet potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped mixed wilted greens (such as Boston, romaine, arugula, iceberg, red oak, and/or green oak — whatever you have on hand!)
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Creme fraiche
- Chopped fresh chives, tarragon, mint, and/or parsley (for serving)
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and thyme to the saucepan, stirring often, for about 5 minutes (or until onion is translucent and tender).
- Add potatoes and cook, occasionally stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil. Cook on medium until potatoes are fork tender (approximately 8–10 minutes).
- Stir in your greens, peas, and sugar.
- Remove saucepan from heat, and let sit on stovetop for 10 minutes, to allow greens to soften and mixture to cool.
- After 10 minutes, pour the mixture into a blender, and purée the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with creme fraiche and herbs.
This Spring-Greens Soup from Martha Stewart Living is the ideal recipe for brisk spring days; just warming enough but still taking advantage of bright, nutritious spring produce and greens.
- 1 pound of shelled fava beans or frozen shelled lima beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced (add more to your preference)
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (keep leaves for serving)
- 2 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 4 Japanese turnips, quartered; or, 2 small turnips, peeled, cut into ½ inch wedges
- 1-1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans or navy (use leftover homemade beans, or a single 15 oz. can, rinsed)
- 1 lb. shelled English peas
- 3 oz. snow peas, trimmed and cut thin, lengthwise
- 2 cups packed watercress
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Microgreens for serving (optional)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add fava beans, and return to a boil. Drain the pot, then run beans under cold water to stop cooking. Peel off and discard skins.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Once hot, add shallots, garlic, celery, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, plus 2 cups of water, turnips, and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Add favas, English peas, and snow and snap peas. Simmer until bright green and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in watercress until wilted – only about 10 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve, drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with a few celery leaves and microgreens (to your preference).
Another way to get more greens this spring (and year-round) is from the natural green food supplements from Garden of Life, Genestra, and Amazing Grass.
Perfect Food Raw Organic Green Superfood Powder by Garden of Life
Perfect Food Raw Organic Green Superfood Powder from Garden of Life is a superfood supplement packed with 40 nutrient-dense ingredients, including freshly harvested greens that are low-temperature dried to lock in nutrition, along with sprouts, fruits and veggies, plus live probiotics and enzymes for digestion. Garden of Life uses six times more organic grasses to create this juice powder versus whole leaf powders, concentrating all of the goodness. All you need is to mix 1 level scoop of Perfect Food Raw Organic Green Superfood Powder into your favorite juice, smoothie, or 8 ounces of water.
Phyto Greens Powder by Genestra
Phyto Greens Powder from Genestra is a power-packed superfood supplement that uses a broad-spectrum phytonutrient formulation to support antioxidant defenses and cellular health, healthy nasal function, and upper respiratory health. A source of potent antioxidants, Phyto Greens Powder, contains organic spirulina, organic chlorella, and organic oat grass, millet sprout, alfalfa, barley, and wheat leaf, as well as a long list of organic fruits and vegetables.
Protein SuperFood Original by Amazing Grass
Protein SuperFood Original from Amazing Grass is an organic, all-in-one protein nutrition shake. Each serving of Protein SuperFood Original promotes lean muscle, aids in digestion, and satisfies hunger by providing 20 grams of complete plant-based protein, 7 servings of alkalizing greens, and 2 full servings of fruits and veggies. Protein SuperFood Original contains a fruit and veggie blend, and a special green food blend. All of this is balanced with a natural vanilla flavor using organic Madagascar vanilla, resulting in a smooth, satisfying taste.
What are your favorite green soup recipes for spring?