Try these foods that support prostate health.
During the month of September, we are reminded to check in with our prostate health, or the health of a loved one. One of the best ways we can do that is to seek out foods that support prostate health. So, today let’s talk about what that means.
Facts About the Prostate
The prostate is located just below the bladder and is part of the male reproductive system. Its role is to produce a fluid that makes up part of the semen. Normally, the prostate is about the size of a walnut and sits around the urethra, which is the tube that empties urine into the bladder.
When the prostate becomes enlarged, it can narrow that tube and decrease urine flow, leading to many health problems. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men, and it’s one of the leading causes of death among men each year.
Caring for Your Prostate
Men should keep a close eye on their prostate health by getting a routine physical each year. Eating foods that support prostate health is another easy way to protect your prostate and possibly avoid cancer.
There are also prostate supporting supplements that you can take daily, to ensure you are getting the vitamins and minerals you need for your prostate. For starters, try supplements like Prostate Support by Solgar or Healthy Prostate Formula by Professional Supplement Center.
Foods That Support Prostate Health
Supporting your prostate through diet is fairly easy. Here is a list of the foods that are thought to have a benefit to prostate health. Changing your diet and following up with your doctor may be all you need to stay prostate healthy.
- Broccoli – Some studies show that eating a diet full of cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, can lower your risk of prostate cancer. Scientists believe a phytochemical called sulforaphane in these veggies targets and kills cancer cells, while sparing healthy normals cells in the prostate. Other cruciferous veggies include:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Green Tea – Already known for its use as a powerful antioxidant, researchers now believe that green tea may reduce your risk of prostate cancer by stunting tumor growth, among several other things. Try Tulsi Tea Green Tea by Organic India. Or, if you’re not a fan of drinking tea, you can still reap all of it’s wonderful benefits in a capsule, such as EGCG from Green Tea by Source Naturals.
- Tomatoes – Here’s an easy one to add to your diet, some studies suggest that men who add more tomatoes to their diets, have less of a chance of developing prostate cancer. While these studies are still preliminary, it couldn’t hurt to give it a try. Some easy way to add more tomatoes to each meal include:
- Tomato Juice
- Pizza Sauce
- Pasta Marinara
- Caprese Salad
- Omega 3s – Several studies report a link between consuming more omega 3 fatty acids and a lower risk of developing an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Omega 3s have tons of other health benefits as well. You can get them naturally in your diet by eating plenty of fish such as trout, salmon, mackerel and herring, or you can add a supplement to your daily routine.
- Saw Palmetto – Used for thousands of years, the saw palmetto herb (as well as stinging nettle) are touted for their effect on the prostate by supporting healthy urine flow and decreasing inflammation.
Protecting your prostate can be easy by incorporating these foods that support prostate health. Maintaining a healthy weight and getting regular exercise also go a long way towards promoting a healthier you. Use this as a reminder to do a little extra for your prostate today!
Here are some nutrition tips for men over 40 that can help.
If weight loss and staying in shape has always been relatively easy for you, it may be frustrating to learn that when you reach a certain age, it gets a little harder. Diet plays a key role in our bodies as we age. It may be time to adjust the way you eat. Here are some nutrition tips for men over 40 that can help.
Testosterone and Metabolism
Testosterone in men tends to drop when you hit your 40s. That can have a direct impact on your metabolism, which may be why you’ve noticed that you can’t eat pizza five days a week anymore like you used to. There is good news though. Through diet, supplementation, and exercise, you can get your levels back up to where they were and hopefully kickstart that awesome metabolism you once had.
Nutrition Tips for Men Over 40
Balance is key when it comes to nutrition tips for men over 40. There are certain foods, vitamins and minerals, and exercise routines that will make losing weight much easier. Here are some of the key things you should focus on, and why:
- Drink More Water – If you are dehydrated, you will feel sluggish and tired which will likely keep you from getting the daily exercise you need. It’s recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces, every day.
- Eat an Apple – Apples are low in calories and fat, and contain a lot of fiber, which can help reduce bloat and keep your appetite satisfied for longer. They are also great for your gut and immune system which could give your metabolism the boost it needs.
- Use Bone Broth – You’ve probably heard about it, now here’s why it’s so great. Bone broth by Ancient Nutrition is a great source of glucosamine which calms inflammation in the body, including the gut which can get your metabolism back up and running again.
- Take a Multivitamin – Getting the daily vitamin and minerals your body needs can make a huge difference in how you feel and the way your body processes food, exercise and stress. All contributing factors to weight gain.
- Protect Your Prostate – After 40, it’s more important than ever to stay on top of your prostate health. Make sure you are keeping up with regular physicals with your doctor. There are supplements you can take as well that specifically target prostate health, such as ProstaThera by Klaire Labs.
- Up the Protein – As you age, the more important lean protein becomes. Boosting your daily protein intake can help you regain muscle tone that you may have lost as you’ve gotten older. Eggs are a great source of protein in the morning, studies show that men who eat eggs for breakfast lose more weight than those who don’t. Or try a supplement like Protein Plus GFCF Dutch Chocolate by Neurobiologix.
Don’t let 40 slow you down. This is the time to shine. With a few adjustments to your daily routine and attention to the nutrition tips for men over 40, you’ll have that body back in shape in no time. Good luck!
Finding the best probiotics for men isn’t hard once you know what to look for.
The benefits of using a daily probiotic are pretty well known these days, but did you know that certain strains can be particularly beneficial for men? Let’s go over some of the best probiotics for men.
Using a high quality, daily probiotic can have a major impact on your overall health. Probiotics are a combination of live “good” bacteria and yeasts that live naturally in our bodies. You may think of bacteria as something that makes us sick, and you’re right – when “bad” bacteria enters our bodies it tries to take over, making us ill. We need the good bacteria to overpower the bad, and that is where probiotic supplements come in. Here are some of the main benefits of taking a probiotic:
- Gut Health – Probiotics help keep your digestive system working properly so you dispose of waste regularly and maintain and build essential nutrients.
- Immune System Strength – Probiotics help balance the bacteria in our bodies so your immune system is strong enough to fight off viruses and keep inflammation under control.
Some of the conditions that may be helped by using a daily probiotic include:
- Upper Respiratory Infections
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Lactose Intolerance
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Yeast Infections
Best Probiotics for Men
Probiotics can be beneficial to everyone, even children. When choosing a probiotic, you’ll want to look for a product that contains live and active bacterial cultures. It can also be especially helpful to pair a daily probiotic with digestive enzymes such as RAW Probiotics Men by Garden of Life. There are two main strains of “good” bacteria that occur naturally in our bodies and you’ll often find them included in the best probiotics for men.
- Lactobacillus – This is found naturally in the small intestine and is responsible for keeping our gut healthy.
- Bifidobacterium – This is found naturally in the large intestine or colon and helps support a healthy immune system.
These days, getting a daily dose of high quality probiotics is pretty easy. They come in a variety of different options, and you can choose which works best with your lifestyle. Here’s a look at some of the choices:
Finding the best probiotics for men isn’t hard once you know what to look for. There are many options out there, but look for a product that contains at least a billion colony forming bacteria strains, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. Try it out, and see what an impact probiotics can have on your overall health.