The holiday season (and all of the delicious treats that come with it) can wreak havoc on your diet and your health. Even for those opting not to travel, or to hold smaller gatherings, the holiday season still finds ways to tempt just about everyone with its seemingly endless options of feasts, parties, snacks, treats, and desserts. From pies to eggnog to holiday cookies, it’s easy to pack on several pounds in just a few weeks.
There’s nothing wrong with enjoying some of the delicious treats that the holidays offer. But for those who want to enjoy some sweet treats while still trying to keep their eating regimen balanced, then having some tasty and healthy holiday cookie recipes can help.
Tips for Tasty and Healthy Holiday Cookie
No matter what you make and eat this holiday season, try following a few basic tips to help keep your nutritional intake balanced, without having to say no to your favorite Christmas cookies.
- Use as many real food ingredients as possible. Many treats, especially cookies, are packed with white flour, refined sugar, and lots of butter. When possible, look for recipes where you can replace or amend those ingredients with alternative ingredients like almond butter, peanut butter, oats, almond flour, and maple syrup (or other non-sugar substitutes).
- Use other flavorful ingredients (like nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cinnamon) to amp up the flavor of your cookies instead of just sugar.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar in any recipe. You can almost always use a little less than the recipe calls for (or replace some or all of it with a non-sugar sweetener like maple syrup or Stevia).
Tasty and Healthy Holiday Cookie Recipes
Soft Gingerbread Cookies
By balancing typical ingredients with almond butter, wheat flour, applesauce, and turbinado sugar, these delicious, soft gingerbread cookies cut way down on the most unhealthy ingredients found in most gingerbread cookies.
For ingredients, you’ll need:
- 1 egg.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- ¼ cup molasses.
- ¼ cup almond butter.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- 2 tablespoons applesauce.
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoons allspice.
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt.
- ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour.
- ½ cup wheat flour.
- Turbinado sugar (for garnish).
For the complete recipe and instructions, follow this link.
Chocolate Chip Pomegranate Cookies
It’s easy to forget to eat enough fruits and veggies during the holidays. This delicious recipe can help: the star of the recipe isn’t the chocolate, but the pomegranates also come packed with natural immune-boosting Vitamin C and antioxidants. Even better, the natural sweetness they add means that you don’t need to add any additional sugar to this recipe.
For ingredients, you’ll need:
- Pomegranate seeds and arils.
- Coconut flour.
- Baking powder.
- Vanilla extract.
- Unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack).
- Vegan chocolate chips.
- More pomegranate seeds to garnish.
For the full recipe and instructions, read on here.
Replace sugar in any of your favorite tasty and healthy holiday cookie recipes with Stevia Glycerite, Stevia Liquid Concentrate, or Stevia Extract, which are available from NOW Foods, Planetary Herbals, and Protocol for Life Balance. Read on for more info!
Better Stevia Glycerite – NOW Foods
Better Stevia Glycerite from NOW Foods is an alcohol-free and a zero-calorie, low glycemic, natural plant-based sweetener that you can use as a healthy substitute for table sugar and artificial sweeteners in your favorite holiday beverages and foods.
Stevia Liquid Concentrate – Planetary Herbals
If you’re trying to make healthier choices this holiday season, and especially if you’re someone who needs to ensure they maintain balanced blood sugar levels, then Stevia Liquid Concentrate from Planetary Herbals is another great option to use in place of sugar in your tasty and healthy holiday cookie recipes this year. Stevia Liquid Concentrate is made from whole stevia leaves and is concentrated in a base of purified water. Just add 5 drops to your favorite beverage or recipe (adjusted to taste)!
Stevia Extract – Protocol for Life Balance
For a powdered Stevia option, try Stevia Extract from Protocol for Life Balance. This extract utilizes glucosyl stevioside, an enzymatically-enhanced stevia lea extract that results in improved taste, zero-calorie sweetening properties, and zero bitter aftertaste. Use it to naturally sweeten all of your favorite holiday (and non-holiday) beverages and treats this holiday season.
What are your favorite tasty and healthy holiday cookie recipes?